Subject: [Leica] Re: Intelligence Way OT
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:52:39 -0700

Mark wrote
IQ tests only show the probability that the person taking it has had a
white, anglo-saxon, protestant education through high-school
- ---------------------------------

Since 1979 it has been illegal to give general IQ tests to African
American children in California public schools. A judge so ordered
when it was demonstrated that these tests are so culturally biased
that to use them for placement is a violation of some children's
rights. He reaffirmed the decision again in the 1980's. I believe
individual one-on-one tests by a qualified psychologist are
acceptable.

As a Psychology teacher, I agree.

The ideas of multiple intelligences and the concept of emotional
intelligence come much closer to being useful ways to understand
individual talents in the real world.

Re: plumbers and intelligence. I would be wary of stereotyping
craftsmen in skilled trades as unintelligent. I have a friend and
former colleague who earned perfect 800 scores on the SAT exams when
he was in high school, numerous scholarships and awards in college
and was a brilliant science teacher, opera singer, and musician. He
quit teaching and started his own one man plumbing business.
Fortunately, his talents in plumbing reflect his genius. He has to
rely on word of mouth referrals because the Yellow Pages refuses to
accept advertising from "Pump-A-Turd Plumbing".

Bill Lawlor