Subject: Re: [Leica] m5 battery
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:38:22 -0400

Bill asked:

"Will the battery cover screw down all the way?  Specs indicate the battery
(adapter) is thicker"

To quote from the  MR-9 FAQ page:

"Q: When the silver 76 battery is installed in the adapter, is it exactly
the same size as the PX-625?
A: No, it is slightly thicker by approximately .010". In some cases this
only means the battery cap may not screw in quite as deeply as before."

This slight extra thickness has made no difference in my Olympus OM1n (I
sold my M5 years ago).  The battery cover still screws down all the way.  Of
course, whether this is the case with the Leica...I dunno.  An e-mail or
call to the adapter vendor http://www.criscam.com/ might answer the
question.

By the way, the adapter is also sold by a nice guy named John Hermanson...a
well respected Olympus repair guru...through his Web site at
www.camtech.com.

Speaking of the Olympus...there's a relation between the OM-series SLRs and
the Leica M3.  The designer of the OM-1 (and subsequent OM-series pro
cameras), Yushishira Maitani, was a Leicaphile who thought the M3 was just
about the neatest camera ever made.  When he set out to design his SLR, he
tried to capture the size, feel and balance of the Leica.  He succeeded
admirably.

As for picture quality...some -- certainly not all --  of the Olympus lenses
rival the best of the Leitz glass and are totally unlike any other Japanese
lenses in sharpness and smooth gradation.   There is NO discernable
difference in Kodachrome 64 transparancies shot with my M3 and 50mm
Summicron and Olympus OM-1n and its Zuiko 50mm f1.4.

I know this sounds like blasphemy, and I never thought I'd ever compare any
other camera favorably with my precious Leicas...but...

I guess the most flattering thing you can say about any camera is: it takes
pictures like a Leica.

Craig
Boston