Subject: [Leica] Re: London and Paris Trip - caveats about thieves?
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:28:06 +0100

Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> asked:

>I am going to take a M6 and a M5 along with a p&s. Any caveats about
thieves?

I suspect that the level of street crime in London and Paris is lower
than in US cities of comparable size. During two recent vacations in
Paris, the only specific precautions I took in the street was to keep
my the catches on my camera bag fastened, and if not shooting or about
to shoot, to wear the bag or camera with the strap running diagonally
across my body.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I tend to assume that a thief will be
more interested in my money than my camera, while the sheer number of
tourists carrying new and near-new cameras will be a more obvious
target for a snatch-and-run thief than someone with what looks like
older equipment.

In more than 35 years of business and vacation travel, I've only once
had my hotel room burgled (in Newcastle).

Perhaps other Lugnuts resident in both cities could offer more
detailed advice.

Regards,

Doug Richardson

Replies: Reply from "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se> (Re: [Leica] Re: London and Paris Trip - caveats about thieves?)