Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: Jlaird@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 01:52:07 EDT

In a message dated 05/14/2000 11:16:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
chis@ece.orst.edu writes:

> Guys,
>
>  I am bailing out for a couple of days, I hope this subject is gone by
>  then! I may even take some photos in the meantime!
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Lucian

Ditto,
  Hey, I'm new to this list, but I've used Nikon, Leica, Canon, Pentax,
Konica, and anything else I could find over the years that would help me take
a better photograph. I've tried Medium format (Hasselblad, Rollei, even
Kowa), large format, started with manual focus, tried auto focus (Nikon F5,
F100, EOS 1, 1n, etc., etc.) even digital lately, which I find intriguing but
a little raw. I currently use Canon for long lenses and macro but I prefer my
M3 with a 35, 50 or 90 for most work. Truth is I'm a whore like most of use,
I'll do anything for a good photograph, and it doesn't matter what camera I
use to get it. I've taken good shots and bad shots with all of the above, am
personally somewhat disappointed with AF because it hasn't delivered what I
thought it promised...that being the ability to focus INSTANTLY on what I
wanted it to and track it into the next county. I've been disappointed...but
I've occasionally shot a picture I loved. And the next day my wife would show
me a shot she got at a water garden tour with her Olympus Stylus ZOOM for
god's sake that would knock my socks off...it looked like a damned Matisse.

  Truth is I find all this talk of Leica Vs Nikon Vs Canon Vs whatever rather
boring...I'd hoped for more from this list. And I don't care if this OUTRAGES
all of you and you kick me off this list. We could all take great pictures
with a Kodak Brownie if we worked at it. But we all have this fondness for
Leicas, the eternal mother of all 35 mm cameras. There will always be cameras
that can take a photo faster or easier or cheaper. There were cameras like
that when the M3 was in its heyday...made by Canon, Nikon, etc.

Lighten up.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)