Subject: RE: [Leica] 24mm vs 21mm for M6
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:42:17 -0700

You know, I was considering that lens (the Snapshot-Skopar), but I had an
experience that changed my mind.  I got an adapter from Stephen Gandy and
put my Nikkor 24 on my M6.  I went out shooting for a couple of days with
it, and realized several things:

- - I hate non-coupled lenses.  Even a 24 doesn't have enough DOF to cover for
mistakes made close-up at 2.8 or 4.0.

- - The Nikkor just didn't cut it image-quality-wise compared to what I was
used to from my Leica lenses.  I suspect the Skopar ould be in the same
boat.

- - I need a reasonably accurate view.  Using the 24 without an add-on finder
was an exercise in frustration, and I suspect I would hate switching to an
external finder almost as much.

- - I just don't see with a 24mm field of view.  On SLR's my favourite focal
length was a 28.  I've had 24's and a 20 but I've only taken a handful of
decent pictures with them.  I never used a 35 till I got Leicas, and I've
never really come to terms with it as a "wide-angle" lens (though my hit
rate has been very high).

My decision was to get a current 28 Elmarit-M.  When I put that lens on my
M6 I knew I'd found exactly what I was looking for.  Coupled, accurate view,
no extra finder, Leica quality, and most importantly for me - a lens that
sees the world the way I do.  It felt like coming home.

On the subject of the thread, though - if I were to make that choice I'd go
with the 24.  21 is just too extreme for me.

Paul Chefurka