Subject: [Leica] RE: Development Question
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:10:30 -0700

I'm not sure that the developer knows what kind of film it is developing.
I've never had "air bells" on any kind of film ever, since I started
developing film in 1952. Other than pictures in books, I don't even know
what they look like.

I use Xtol 1:3, Rodinal, home brew, etc, and everything else ever invented.
But other than 4x5 sheet film for extreme reduction of contrast (water bath
development), I've never presoaked film in water so I don't know the
consequences. Mark Rabiner always presoaks so he has those answers.

BTW, water bath development is 1min water, 1min dev, 1min water, 1min
dev... etc... until the film reaches the appropriate density. This is
basically forcing extreme compensation. Developing the shadows, retarding
the highlights.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com> ([Leica] Re: Development Question)