Subject: RE: [Leica] Development Question
From: Tom Finnegan <tomf@piengr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:51:41 -0700

I'm having an annoying problem with airbells when developing PanF, at least
I'm assuming they are airbells. I have not had any problems in developing
HP5 or Delta 3200. Is this a common problem with slow films or PanF in
particular, or is it just me? I've been shooting it in my IIIf (to stay OT)
for that retro look. When everything works out I love the look, but I'm
getting frustrated with all the pictures I've had ruined (enhanced?) with
the alien ovals appearing everywhere. Here are the details.

Hewes SS reels, XTOL 1+3 mixed with distilled water, temps at 68F,
distilled water pre-soak, agitation as per Ilford with agitation for the
first 30 sec then for 10 sec every minute with a couple good raps on the
table after agitating. Intially I used about a 1 minute presoak and gentle
inversions and got lots a airbells. The last couple rolls I ran I used a
two minute presoak and vigorous inversions and tank rapping. The result was
fewer airbells but still several. Any suggestions on what I should try or
change?

- -  Should I go to agitation every 30 sec?
- -  Should I go to a 5 minute presoak, or not presoak at all?
- -  Would slightly warmer temps help?
- -  Should I try Rodinal 1:100 ala Martin, and if so what would be a good
starting time for dev?
- -  Should I just give up on PanF and try FP4?
- -  Should I just sell my cameras now and take up something else?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tom (I'm no Mark Rabiner in the darkroom) Finnegan
Seattle

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Development Question)