Subject: [Leica] rangefinder adjustment
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:38:52 -0700

lugfolk,

was out and about last night, shooting at the griffith park observatory.
arrived just in time for sunset. composing a shot of some folks composing a
shot of the hollywood sign, i noticed that the two images in the
rangefinder patch do not entirely coincide when i focus at infinity. they
are close, as the saying goes, but no cigar.

i assume (but perhaps shouldn't) that this is not a disaster, since depth
of field will generally cover what i believe is a relatively minor
discrepency between what i'm seeing in the vf and the actual point of
focus. also, i've never noticed any problems with things that should be in
focus being out of focus in my negs or prints. that said, it bugs me, and
i'd like to have it straightened out, if possible.

is this something that i can do myself without destroying the camera? is it
easy or difficult to do? would i need any special tools? i bought the
camera in feb 99, so it's still under warantee, but, after all the horror
stories i've heard, i'd rather not send it to leica nj for what appears to
be a minor adjustment.

has anyone done this before? any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

guy