Subject: Re: [Leica] Handheld Magazine
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:32:06 +0000

Julian Thomas wrote:

> > http://www.handheldmagazine.com
> >
>  Wow!! How do these on-line magazines make any money? This is top quality
> stuff for free! Isn't the internet wonderful!

Julian,

It depends on which side of free you are on-- the getting or the
giving.  You may have no idea of the resistance in the publishing
industry to paying much of anything at all for photos or other content
on the web.  The NY Times grossed over $24million in ad revenue on its
website last year and refuses to pay for web useage without a battle.  A
friend sold a travel photo to them for the Sunday section and found it
on the web, too, despite delivery memo forbidding such without
approval.  It took three months of exchanges with NYT attorneys to get
the $50 she requested.  And with the check was a letter stating that she
would never again do business with the NYTimes.  As magazines move from
paper to web publishing they are establishing a precedent that photos
have little value for web use.  Professional photographers are in a
serious survival battle.  I can tell you from personal experience that
photos on public access web sites such as those of AOL pay photographers
little more than the cost of the film to shoot it on.

Isn't the internet wonderful?

donal

Donal Philby
San Diego