Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] What Leica will be showing at Photokina
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:52:38 -0700

Uwe writes:
>>>snip<<<Also a product line of cheaper equipment for beginners, not
|necessarily with the Leica badge on it, but with compatible bayonet and flash
|mount. But i think that they again will be too proud or too dull or too
|afraid to do this, as they always were in the past. They really can be glad
|about Cosina and their Voigtländer Bessa-R, because this is THE camera to get
|experience with rangefinder photography without spending thousands of $$$,
|and its M39 mount allows upgrade to a Leica M.

I think the ship has already sailed on this for Leica.  Now I would really
hate them to try to compete head-to-head with the Cosina/Voigtländer market.
I think that they would really be embarrassed.  Cosina is developing the same
accessory innovations that Leica had during it screw Leica mount heyday (e.g.
the dual shoe and the outstanding auxiliary viewfinders).

Leica also seem to miss the "just in time" manufacturing philosophy as
evidenced by the waiting period for some of their lenses.  A backlog of orders
is nice but it also leaves one vulnerable.  I cannot imagine why they would
try to manufacturer Leica quality MF lenses when they cannot produce their
existing lens line.

Regards, Bill Larsen