Subject: Re: [Leica] CLA M Cameras: lubrication
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:13:49 +1000

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> John & Tim wrote:
>
> > environments naturally. Curiously, in the newer cameras, winterising is no
> > longer needed. I have a test of a M6 frozen to -20šC (not just
> > exposed) and
> > the shutter was still within 4% percent accuracy!
>
> >John,
>
> >I have tested my M6 at -40c with both the camera and the photographer frozen
> >and neither worked too well!  Apart from everything slowing down (including
> >my brain functions) you need a pipe wrench to turn the focussing ring...
> >among other things
>
> >Interestingly my N***n F4 has done well at those temps and I have usually
> >packed it in before the camera did.
>
> >Tim A
> >North of 60
>
> My cold weather tests (includes living in igloos, travelling hundreds of miles by
> snowmobile, never bathing and eating polar bear meat for breakfast) proved to me that
> the M6 is not reliable in the cold - particularly the shutter. I carry with me a
> new-ish M6, an old M3, a N**on F2 and an F4. The F2 and M3 works, first thing in the
> morning after a night at below minus 30. The F4 eventually powersd up, but it and the
> M6 remain erratic.
>
> The shutter fabric on the M6 is no longer what Leitz once used (M3 etc. is rubberized
> silk, the M6 is some kind of synthetic).
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

  While I was living back in Germany for a few years, I found, when the temperatures went
down to about -20C, both, my C3 and M3 the shutter slowed to such an extend , to be
unusable.
However my Pentax Spotmatic had no problems at all. Of course, the Leicas where not
winterized, but neither was the Spotmatic.

Regards, Horst Schmidt