Subject: Re: [Leica] CLA M Cameras
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 15:03:00 -0700

Bill Satterfield writes:

|What is the consensus on when and by whom  should  this be done. If
|camera is working OK, although old, say anythig before the M6, is it
|advisable to do it for maitenance?

Consensus???  You dream the impossible dream.  Seriously, though, I don't
think that it is generally necessary to have scheduled CLAs.  If something is
broken, then have it fixed and CLAd.

My first M3, bought new, had 300-400 rolls per year ran through it for the
first three years, then down to 30-40 rolls per year.  Nearly 30 years later,
it broke.  The film counter went out (don't tell me they didn't use plastic in
the M3).  At that point it was CLAd.  There where two problems:  1) the film
counter do-dad and 2) the M synch was not correct.  As to the latter --- how
would I ever notice that since I haven't used M synch in 25 years.  I found
that rather than getting loose feeling, the M Leicas just get smoother with
use.  (I am sure there is a point where they just wear out --- but I haven't
found it).

That being said, I would probably have the camera CLAd if I were using it in
harsh environments --- blowing dust, sand, salt spray --- and I would probably
have it CLAd and de-lubed it I were taking it to arctic or Antarctic
environments.  Else if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I think that the biggest
enemy of the mechanical camera is not using it.  It gets sluggish and things
happen.  Use seems to restore it to specification.

My local camera repair person will not work on Leicas --- he says you need
factory training else you get in big trouble.  I am sure you will get a list
of qualified repair people either with a archive search or from response to
your question.  He will check the shutter speeds for me, though, and it is
easy to occasionally check the rangefinder yourself.

Regards, Bill Larsen

Replies: Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] CLA M Cameras - rangefinder check)