Subject: [Leica] Leica M6 TTL Handbook
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:52:33 +0100

...is hot off the press from Leica-writer, Jonathan Eastland. ISBN - 0
9536241 0 2

This is a hardback A5 size book, 183 pages long, printed predominately in
black and white with a 16 page centre section in colour. Layout is clear
and spacious allowing plenty of room for text and illustrations, provided
almost equally by Leica and J.E. Print quality is generally good with some
disappointment in the depth of the blacks in the b/w pictures, however this
is not a monograph and as such it worries not a great deal.
Costing 25 GBP or 39 USD this is a reasonable price for a first book on
getting the most out of the Leica rangefinder system if you are new to the
camera. An illustration of the assistance available to the 'first timer' is
provided by finding sufficient material to fill a page and half on 'how to
fit the strap' accompanied by 7 photographs! Mind you, this is the new
strap design which features a design of wire retainer connecting it to the
camera which resembles one of those bent wire puzzles encountered as
children! I suspect previous Leica owners might feel that a lot of the
material is already known to themselves or previously published and then
there are always those who will be attracted to anything newly published on
the Leica topic.
Jonathan Eastland was granted access to the development of the new camera
and as such the comprehensive explanation of the flash capability is dealt
with in expanse, dedicating two chapters and some 46 pages to the subject.
Flash guns tried are not merely those from leica but also the SCA adapted
versions and 3 different Metz units. And after all of that Jonathan still
recognises that flash photography with a Leica is largely undesired, or at
least, against the philosophy of the camera's use.
Another interesting nugget gleaned from this book appeared on p.130.
Talking about the extreme wide angle accessory viewfinders which are apt to
be lost, Jonathan writes, 'Leica are working to find a solution to this
problem'. One can't believe they mean that it will be attached with string
to the inside of users jackets! So hopes of a 'Wide Angle Leica' are
fuelled again...
Chapter 4 defines itself as no less than the 'Operational Philosophy' and
here we read of insights gleaned while watching Sarah Moon's biography of
Henri Cartier Bresson. Elsewhere we read of operational techniques of Tony
Ray Jones using his brother Philip as a human shield, but both of these
(and more) points illustrate that Jonathan is recognising that
Leica/rangefinder camera photography does have a rather different set of
techniques and values attached to it over using an SLR.
The book of course is right up to date, mentioning and illustrating the
latest Millennium M6 in high black gloss. Jonathan's own cameras are
occassionally seen throughout the book and seem to have lost much of that
pristinity!
Jonathan describes the M6 TTL as 'radically different from previous M6
models' which I think is rather dramatic but manages to pretty well cover
the differences in the first couple of sides in paragraph one of the
introduction. Thereafter we are treated to a personal style of writing
which is refreshing these days, indeed, there are suggestions which he
makes from practical use which could well be unknown to many readers.
What might be considered more 'radically different' is his practical way of
solving requirements on location. Diffused flashlight? Use a kleenex
tissue. Coloured flashlight? Use some sweetie wrappers!
Sportingly, as the book was initially to be published by Hove Photo Books,
there are several references to other publications including two from Hove.
Other manufacturers are recognised too, including Tom Abrahamsson in Canada
with his Rapidwinder attachment for alternative film advancement.
The book ends rather abruptly, I felt, with no conclusion and perhaps not
unnaturally the final paragraph concerned itself with mentioning the custom
leather Leica pouches that 'Ajax', Mr Eastland's company, also produce!

One could mention a couple of small quibbles, on p.6 it's suggested that
the M cameras up to, and including, the M4-P had brass top plates, but this
stopped with the M4 excepting titanium editions of the M6. And finally, my
copy had pages 40-55 out of sequence in the binding, but I suspect this
will merely make the book a rare collectors item!
In conclusion, this is a better book than I had been expecting, I suspect
there is more here than most people might envisage providing something for
nearly everyone.

Jem