Subject: [Leica] Melvin Mencher
From: Fred Zimmerman <fredz@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 13:46:14 -0500

  I gather you finally acknowledge you were incorrect in stating he had won
a Pulitzer. As to your statement that he may have falsely claimed to have
won a Pulitzer, the man is the author of a widely used journalism textbook
that has gone through several editions since first publication in the
1970s, and he was a professor at Columbia University for many years. He
went there after teaching journalism at the University of Kansas in the
1960s. People like that don't lie about winnning Pulitzers. On the other
hand, people who don't know basic things like that, are loose with facts as
well as language, and are given to libel (anonymously, of course), have
always had trouble with Mencher's courses and his approach to journalism.
  He is still living, by the way. Next time I talk to him I will ask him
how many Pulitzers his students have won.