Subject: [Leica] Darkroom depression (long)
From: AlastairF@bhs.grampianshealth.org.au
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:43:16 +1000

So how is it possible that the darkroom is dead? Or even sick? From where
I, and my colleagues stand, it is business as usual.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jim,

I just knew I could count on you to rush to my defense and ease my troubled
mind. I'm of course ploughing ahead with the darkroom for lots of reasons,
but one of them is the artistic and craft control I like to have. Recently
we had a huge print made of the Flinder's Ranges for our MRI unit. My
Hasselblad image was scanned at a pro-lab, and then printed to cover the
Southern wall of the scanner room. The image was of the ancient ranges with
a myriad of irises in the foreground, a beautiful blue sky with one or two
clouds -- for me the image was all about the fields of wild irises. The room
is not "square" walled, so the image would be cropped. I asked for the
foreground, but you guessed it they produced a $400 image of the sky and
mountain ranges. The irises are "missing". Oh well my ideas were not those
of the printer, and that is what I want ----- control ;-)

One good thing about this "rush" into the digital world is that I can buy
lots of good gear very easily (if not cheaply) at the  moment ;-)

Cheers

Alastair