Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Some of Life's Chumps, oops I mean Dumps
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:29:39 -0400

bernard (not delgado) was shameless enough to post to the lug:

>Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:24:39 +0400
>From: Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Some of Life's Dumps

>>Martin Howard wrote:

>There's no need for a long message about that. Those people need birth
control,
>not cameras. With birth control in place, they wouldn't be living on a
garbage
>dump in the first place.

>Bernard

I've delayed doing this for too damn long - I was about to do it when Rob
Schneider left, but I held back - but I have to finally put conscience above
occasional reading pleasure and "resign" from the list.

I am not, in a philosophical sense, a supporter of the Dump Project. I have
great admiration for Kyle and Tina for actually doing something to try to
help people such as the kids who are the beneficiaries of this project. I
wish that I had what it takes to really make such an effort. I believe,
however, that the sad truth is that this is the kind of project that
ultimately does more for the helpers than the helped - and given that the
helped are getting at least some momentary pleasure/uplifting from a project
such as this, maybe that's "okay" in terms of the Big Picture.

I, too, believe that what the Third World desperately needs is birth
control - and I believe that in putting its unimaginable riches behind the
effort to stop the spread of family planning around the world, the Catholic
Church plants its cross squarely in the Evil Doers column.

But I also believe that the poorer countries need real support and aid from
the richer nations. I believe that until we "spread the wealth," what wealth
we have won't be worth using.

Finally, I believe that people with attitudes like Bernard's are real scum,
and I believe that there has been far too much of this right wing drivel
infecting the LUG for far too long. I, for one, was thrilled to see Marc
James Small leave the group, as I found him to be a nasty, Small-minded,
basically unpleasant individual - even if he did know a lot about German
cameras.

I will miss trading information, barbs, and just plain nonsense with the
majority of you who are not also on the LEG, where I will remain. But I
cannot remain here in good conscience any longer.

B. D. Colen