Subject: [Leica] The Salgado exhibit - further thoughts
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:27:41 -0700

In the review I posted yesterday, I commented that Natchwey seemed more
interested in the individual than Salgado.  I was browsing the Magnim site
(http://magnumphotos.com/) and came across this quote from James Natchwey:

"I want to record history through the destiny of individuals who often
belong to the least wealthy classes. I do not want to show war in general,
nor history with a capital H, but rather the tragedy of a single man, of a
family."

One other thought that struck me at the exhibit was a philosophical one -
the subtle distinction between migrants, immigrants and refugees.  The
boundaries between these groups is a bit blurry, but it was instructive to
ponder on the differences.  Why do they leave?  Do they go back?  What is
the level of choice they have in leaving or deciding where to go?  If they
have no choice, what has usurped it?  What circumstances leave you with
hope, and what does it take to strip hope completely away?

Weighty ponderings indeed for those of us who can ask ourselves questions
like "Should I get the 'cron or the 'lux?"

Paul Chefurka