Subject: Re: [Leica] 1st version expensive 35mm Summilux vs latest
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:03:51 -0700

At 1:28 AM -0700 5/1/00, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>What was it we said on that I remember something about 2 aspherical elements
>being better or worse than one but I'm not sure if the early expensive ground
>version was supposed to be better than the current pressed soft glass cheap
>version. Or not. And why. I'd search the archive but I'm not sure how on this
>particular question. Post me privately if you think this would be a skipping
>record discussion.
>Mark Rabiner

The points made were that some Zeiss engineers had shown to their
satisfaction that more than one aspherical surface per lens was
superfluous.

The glass in the new one is not softer (on the verrry remote chance that
you were serious....). As far as the performance is concerned, all in all
they are nearly equal, with the new one having a slight edge in some aspect
(I forget which). In any case, not to worrry about.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com