Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: PC lens
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:05:30 -0700

At 1:52 PM +0100 4/30/00, Jeff Moore wrote:
>H'mm.  Okay, this is drifting off-topic, but...  I have this EOS-1
>body which has been collecting far more dust than images since I got
>hooked on Leica glass.  The idea of acquiring one of the Canon TS-E
>lenses, most likely the 24mm, to live more-or-less permanently on this
>body keeps popping up in my mind.  Anyone use this lens (or one in
>that family) much, and have comments, especially from the perspective
>of one who's used to how good pictures made with modern Leica glass
>can look?

It's a good lens, and because of it's mount and focal length, can do things
no other lens can. It is definitely not up to the standard of the SA-PC
28mm lens (which, I believe, is also available in the Canon mount). The
lens is not quite as good as the better 24/2.8 SLR lenses, but then their
image circles are a lot smaller, but it has very even performance and I
don't think anyone could reject this lens on an optical performance basis.
The main problem I have with the 24 is not optical, but ergonomic. It's a
huge lens, and I find it very hard to use handheld. I know, this lens is
used on a tripod most of the time by most people, but I have 3 PC lenses in
35mm and MF which handle a lot better, and which I do use handheld for more
than half my shots. I've been practicing this for over 30 years, so I've
gotten used to it. The 24 Canon is just a bit too clumsy.

It's manual focus of course - I'm not sure how autofocus could deal with a
tilted lens, but it's auto-diaphragm, so in 'neutral' position it can
easily be used as a regular 24. You have to meter with the lens untilted
and centered. The only PC lens/camera combination that could meter
accurately with the lens shifted were the Nikon PC lenses mounted on Konica
T bodies with an adapter - go figure!

In the end, for architecture and general shooting this is still the PC lens
that gets used the most due to it's focal length. 28 is quite useable, but
35mm is only marginally useful. Longer lenses are useful for product shots
and macro work, and for that Nikon's new 85 is probably best.

If you have need for a TS lens, this is the one to get.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com