Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-X rated at 200ASA with an M2
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:08:57 -0700

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> What negative format did Jack use?
>
> What size __prints__ do you make and what do they look like?
>

> >snip
>
> >.....Jack Leigh.  He is an
> >exceptional photographer from Savannah, Georgia.    He exhibited some
> >absolutely gorgeous prints, full of depth, beautiful highs and the shadows
> >were full of detail.  He has used nothing buy Tri-x at ISO 200 for years.
> >He processes in D-76, 1:1,  68F for 7 minutes.  I have tested it and the
> >negatives are beautiful.    I don't think that it will replace my Delta
> >films in Xtol but under some lighting conditions it does have a very
> >appealing appearance.
> >
> >Bob Bedwell

And medium format negs tolerates over exposure much better than 35!!
Sheet film you can expose the hell out of and not even use a meter ala Edward
Weston and many others.
But a 35mm neg requires the minimum density to get the image.  In other words no
more exposure or development than needed for adequate detail. Or grain builds up
and you get a mushier negative to make a less well separated print.

For 120 perhaps it's "more information" but in the squeakier world of 35mm it
translates to mush! We can't have our mush and eat it too! For 35 we split hairs!
Mark (there's a hair in my mush) Rabiner