Subject: Re: [Leica] 3200 suggestion/Neopan 1600
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:41:44 -0700

Gareth Jolly wrote:

> ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
>
> >I shot a lot of NP1600 last year but found that the highlights were
> generally
> >blown out, the shadows blocked up and not enough shades of grey. How do you
> >process it?
>
> I shoot a lot of it.  It is an excellent film.
>
> Try rating it at 1200 and developing for 12 minutes at 20 degrees C in Xtol
> 1:3.  The trick is that you need a minimum of 100 ml of Xtol concentrate per
> film.  So you will need 400 ml of Xtol 1:3 per film.  That can be a bit
> awkward because it restricts you to developing one roll in a small tank;  3
> in a larger tank.
><Snip>
I am also running my Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:3 Gareth and Arthur! Rating it a 1600.
Ten years ago it also worked for me at that ASA with my Nikons in Rodinal.

(At 16 minutes at 70 degrees agitating once per minute.)
Nowadays i run my Leica m's in Xtol! :)

As this is the same time as my Delta 400 I throw them both in the same tank.
Blown highlights=overexposure and/or development
thin shadows=underexposure, indicates you should expose more, lower you asa/iso number.
So you have conflicting problems.
One should cancel out the other. But they don't.
I'd shoot 4 rolls, run it in a one quart tank and contact it and look at it.
Mark Rabiner