Subject: [Leica] camera straps
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:15:25 -0700

>Every time I pass a camera store I pop in and buy some film, let them admire
>my Leica, then ask if they have any old straps lying around. They *always*
>do and most of the time they will give you a couple for free. It is a shame
>we are forced to do this, but there are very few straps on the market
>currently that are any good, I think.
>
>I know Rabiner thinks that straps are the work of the devil and emotionally
>I agree with him but there is something very reassuring about a strap
>tightly wrapped around the palm when you're shooting in a crowd.
>
>Johnny Deadman

re: the strap - i'm all for it. i use one on the m6 (the one that came with
the camera), but not on the iiif. not that i don't like just 'handling' the
ltm body, i simply can't find one that seems appropriate for the smaller
scale of the screw mount leica. those gigantic, foot-wide
leather/foam/naugahyde-type straps made for massive cameras with zooms as
long as banana squash are monstrosities. i'm looking for a basic, approx.
1/4" wide strap - the kind one used to see on cameras, before it became
fashionable to design things to look like they were to be used on the moon!
like johnny, i sniff through the old-strap boxes in local camera stores,
but have yet to find the strap-o-my-dreams. til i do, the iiif just goes in
the pocket, to be whipped out whenever necessary, and then, back in the
pocket.

what ho!

guy