Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography / Deadman's law
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:22:15 +0100

>> I recently began photographing an indigent, young asian woman dressed in
>> sheer pink and cyan whose poor attempts at dance I at first thought were
>> intended as a parody of typical street performers, when she began gesturing
>> rather dramatically that she did not wish to be photographed. I walked a
>> short distance, moving well to her side out of sight and took a few more
>> photographs of her. As I turned to leave, someone passed me and angrily said
>> "Hey, buddy! she said she didn't want her picture taken!"

With respect, you were asking for trouble there. I'm not trying to be rude
but I think photographing 'indigent' people without their permission on the
street is (not always, but very often) unwise and, secondly, persisting in
photographing someone who has indicated they do not wish to be photographed,
particularly when said person is clearly vulnerable in some way, compounds
the mistake.

The point about photographing openly on the street (without asking
permission) is that it allows people to object to being photographed or to
get the hell out of the way. It also demonstrates that you have no
inhibitions about what you are doing and consider you have a 'right' to be
there as a photographer (which fundamentally, you do).

Ted is (as ever!) dead right about 'sneaky' photography. It is really
dangerous. I simply would not use a concealed camera for that reason. (I
used a concealed camera working in TV and it is VERY scary).

Much safer to do what you do out in the open, though obviously being
inconspicuous about it if you wish.

Personally, I think Deadman's Law obtains here, namely:

"The conspicuousness of any street photographer is inversely proportional to
the amount of effort s/he is putting into being inconspicuous"

Yesterday, for example, I was down on the South Bank for a meeting and ended
up walking back past the brutalist Festival Hall. Under the concrete
ramparts were a bunch of tough looking skaters doing tricks. I thought about
asking them if it was okay to take pix, but you're asking for trouble that
way because (a) they weren't meant to be there and so (b) they would
probably say no, and what do you do then? So I walked in amongst them and
casually took a light reading. A couple of them skated up and asked what the
meter was, and I told them. They shrugged and skated off. Then I started
taking pictures, walking in amongst them etc, and I guess I shot two or
three rolls with complete freedom. They showed no sign whatever of being
aware of my presence... no showing off or attitude. That's the thing about
skaters... they want to be 'cool' and act accordingly. It was nice and
really relaxed, and a classic example (to me) of how for some reason if you
are open and casual people will simply buy you as part of the scenery. Not
always, not everywhere, but more often than you expect, I think.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk