Subject: Re: [Leica] Expectant proud new M6 owner
From: Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:48:52 +0100

Lucien wrote:

>I just came back from Eastern break.
>The camera and lenses I took with me (and used every day)
>were :
>
>M6TTL 0,72 + Tri-Elmar + 90/2 APO-ASPH.
>
>I used the Tri-Elmar (more or less) 80% @ 50mm, 18% @ 35mm
>and 2% @ 28m.
>For those 2% I was glad I had the 0,72.(I don't wear glasses)
>
>I had no problem focusing the 90/2 (used it 40% of the time,
>mainly portraits).
>
>I used both lenses wide open when it was possible. (Delta
>100 and Reala)
>They are so good! (save maybe at 28mm @  f/2,8, but that's
>less important)
>The Tri-Elmar is really a great lens. And the 90/2 !
>
>The only problem is that you have to check the focal ring
>all the time to be sure it didn't move slightly.
>And very often it does.
>:-(
>
>Now, as my only lens for 35 and 50mm, I had never bought the Tri-Elmar.

>My favourite lenses are the 35/2 ASPH and the 50/1,4 with
>separate hood (same computation as the current one).
>Together with the 90/2, I can do everything I want with them.
>
>I really think this is a better start. And with that kit,
>the 0,85 is perfect.
>
>Another problem with the Tri-Elmar is its size (almost the
>same as the 90/2).
>Under a jacket or in a pocket, the M6 + 35/2 are much easier
>to carry.
>With the Tri-Elmar, you will have to remove the lens and put
>the body cap (and loose the readiness).

Lucien

I have, under the auspicious guidance of those that know in this group,
changed my order from the T-E to the 35mm f/2 ASPH and the 50mm f/2 to
go with the 90mm f/2 APO ASPH.  I think this will be my optimum set-up
to start with (or for the next ten years according to my wife when she
discovered the potential expenditiure involved!  Just wait until she
sees the photographs, she will be begging me to get the Noctilux...)

Thank you for an informative real world example of your experiences with
the various lenses.  This feedback certainly makes making ones own
purchasing decisions easier and better informed.

Simon