Subject: Re: [Leica] <no subject>
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:47:55 +1000

Martin Howard opinionated himself as follows to

> sam jotting  down the following:
>
> > But buyers who DO get defective equipment SHOULD post it.
>
> Why?  What good does it do to post it to the LUG?  It doesn't remedy his
> problem, it doesn't change Leica's practices, it doesn't have any
> consequences for those going to purchase gear.

I believe it does some good. I remember the problem with the scratching M6
pressure plates. Someone posted this to the LUG. After this quite a few people
with similar problems came out of the woodwork. Lots of useful suggestions where
then forthcoming.Of course quite a fair amount of correspondence about quality,
or lack off, was posted.
Rightly so. I am convinced, that people at Leica read the LUG. They may not
acknowledge
it, but I doubt they are so stupid and just ignore it altogether. The LUG may
only be a small cross section of Leica users, but this makes it even more
important. If a smallamount of users have problems, the fast majority must have
even more.

> It's only function is
> retribution for the poster and annoyance for the rest of us.

Who are the rest of us. Speak for yourself. How do you know if I am annoyed or
notHow do you know if anybody else is annoyed or not. Only the postings after
can tell you.

It is quite amazing how some people regularly try and censor the LUG postings.
Often without a sensible contribution.
Of course,  many comments or questions are repeats of  comments already made
some time ago. But many LUGers are new, or others may not have received the mail
at this time or where logged off for a while, or just want to ask the question
their way.
If you have to check on the archives before every comment or question, then the
time spend to do this  grows in to enormity, the larger the archive becomes.
Also if  you really looked hard in the archives, it would leave you with hardly
any questions to ask or comments to make.

Don't make the LUG in to a boring forum, by sticking to  a narrow line.

I always enjoy the diversity , humor, intelligence, helpfulness and arguments
which is present in the LUG. Why censor?

> > And if it only occurs once every six months, why should that be a problem?
>
> Well, if it's not a problem, why write ANYTHING about it at all?
>
> > Your response intimidates others from posting "defect" messages
>
> Good!
>
> > and if
> > taken to an extreme, ANY kind of message that could be dumped to
> > "it's in the archives and has been covered before", so it's a dead horse.
>
> I think that most people are capable of making the distrinction between
> raising an issue which has been discussed before, either in light of
> something new, or because it was not exhausted before; and raising an issue
> which (a) leads nowhere, (b) generates a lot of inflammatory messages, (c)
> has been exhausted.

This is a typical school teacher mentality. : "I  decide, what is important and
what not.Subject closed.!."  What I said above, applies to here too.

Regards, Horst Schmidt