Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 870, 1270
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:40:24 -0500

Henning Wolff wrote:
>In head to head comparisons I did, the Polaroid 4000 had somewhat less
>advantage in resolution than the difference between using the digital ICE
>and turning it off on the Nikon. On the other hand, the Nikon had a greater
>ability to see into the shadows, even without the 16x multi-sampling, which
>increased its advantage significantly. Also the Nikon has the batch
>scanning option.
>
>The film used for the test was Velvia.
>
>The Polaroid was returned.

If you need resolution the Polaroid seems the answer as it is 4000ppi as
opposed to 2700 for the Nikon. Thats what I meant when I said "it'll do
scans twice the size of the Nikon"
Maybe you mean something different for resolution.

Velvia can be tough to scan if you have a really dense piece of film.
Maybe thats why I use negative film a lot.

Glad to hear that your Nikon works so well for you. Sounds like we have
two contenders for best.

Did you get the Epson 1600?
I'm waiting to hear how they are in real world use.

Henry