Subject: RE: [Leica] Epson 870, 1270
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:07:53 -0700

Allow me to second Henry's vote of confidence in the new Epson inks and
papers.  I still prefer Tetenal SpectraJet to the new Epson Premium Photo
paper, but the Epson paper is darn close in sharpness, may be even a tad
more neutral than the Tetenal, and has guaranteed longevity.

As far as quad inks for the new printers goes, I now think you don't need
'em.  I tried doing B&W on my 750, and didn't have much luck - even with MIS
quads.  I never really liked the images, for one reason or another.  One
print from the 870 using the colour inks was all it took to convince me that
I can put the resurrection of my B&W darkroom on the back burner.  This
printer makes gorgeous B&W's.  And now of course, all that money I was going
to spend on my darkroom can be reallocated to upgrading my HP S20 scanner.

Digital darkrooms are indeed coming of age.

Yes, this discussion really belongs on the Epson list, but I'd rather
proselytize my friends than preach to a choir of strangers.  And besides,
good digital B&W printing is a must for all those (technically) gorgeous
Tri-X/Xtol negs I'll be shooting with my Leicas over the next 30 years.

Paul Chefurka