Subject: RE: [Leica] lecia cl
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:51:45 -0700

The first Leica I ever bought was an CL, and if you can find one in good
condition, it's a good way to get into the M. It doesn't the same solid feel
of a full-size M, though, and some people have reported problems with the
meter--the metering cell sits on the end of a retractable arm in front of
the shutter, and swings up out of the way when the shutter opens. Mine has
been pretty robust, though, and I usually take it cross-country skiing and
the like. The 40mm lenses is really good, either the Summicron-C or the
Minolta that come on the Leitz/Minolta CL. I started buying M lenses, and
some of the shorter ones work on the CL; focusing may not be as accurate for
longer lenses. Finding replacement batts (PX 625) is getting to be a pain in
the ass, and the solutions (adapters or meter adjustment) cost extra. I
prefer the M, but the CL isn't a bad start.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.