Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: flawless Leica
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:20:44 -0700

Sorry Jim,

I agree wit your first paragraph but not with subsequent ones. Human
weaknesses are inevitable but to justify them and accept them perpetuates
the problem.

Any manufactured item can fail, thus the warranty. But when an item that
costs twice and three times its competitor's is *delivered* defective, there
is no excuse.
Germany has survived the Japanese industrial onslaught by concentrating on
high quality, precision goods rather than compete in the same high
production direction taken by Japan. Yet, it seems that in some areas, they
are not as successful.

Germany is experiencing a labor malaise . It seems that the present working
force, unlike its Japanese counterpart, has no pride in workmanship. At
least not as it did two or three generations ago. This is not my opinion but
an established fact.
With the fall of the Berlin wall and the inevitable influx of a new and
unskilled refugee work force, it could be that it is increasingly difficult
to maintain a high level of pride-in-workmanship staff.

On the other hand, Japanese workers hold a certain fanaticism in producing
quality as though the product itself were their own private offspring. Also,
Japanese consumers are very fussy buyers. When we receive a new automobile,
we may check for scratches in the paint and insure that indeed we did get
the superchromemajig to better impress the Jones. Japanese buyer do not
accept a vehicle until they inspect everything thoroughly including the
undercarriage by crawling under the car.
The individual who bought the camera with the grinding lens aperture, should
have checked it at the dealer and rejected it on the spot rather than take
it home and be stuck with handling the replacement personally.

A camera such as Leica M - which I am sure is assembled by hand for the most
part - passes through hundreds of "quality control" stations. That is, each
assembler/worker has the opportunity to check his/her own work. Also,
knowing that the company is being pursued by a half dozen hungry
competitors, Leica should redouble its efforts to maintain an image of
superiority.

Bugatti was told by an influential potential customer: "Ah, wonderful car,
but to own the best one has to buy a Rolls". The following day Bugatti
ordered his engineers to redesign all components of the automobile with zero
tolerances.
Well I certainly hope that Leica will not follow Bugatti in history.

Joseph Codispoti