Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: scanning comparison
From: John Bean <john@jbean.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:32:24 +0100

Paul

If you don't use colour adjustment (ie, "neutral") it ignores the black and
white points, saving much tearing-of-hair and gnashing-of-teeth. Your scan
will not look as "bright" until you tweak it in Photoshop, but it will
contain *much* more information. Oh, another thing - Vuescan acquires the
image from the LS-30 at 10 bits per channel, not 8 as with the Nikon
software. Nikon want you to buy an LS-2000, so they're hardly going to make
the LS-30 (which has the same hardware) look nearly as good as its much
more expensive sibling. Ed Hamrick has no such marketing constraint imposed.

At Monday 24/04/2000 14:50, Paul Bolam wrote:
>In my ignorance, I didn't realise you had to set the black and white points
>as well. Is there an obvious range I should begin with? Me-No-Techno-Speak
>so I'd welcome a few tips!

Regards

John Bean