Subject: Re: [Leica] Vertical adjustment
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:53:21 -0600

Rob,

This is the message I sent in response to the vertical rangefinder question.
I apologise if it sounded like I was not taking the question seriously but I
certainly tried to. I have not physically watched the adjustment being done
on a newer camera, though I suspect* it involves bending a linkage, and
cannot say whether one would have to do other adjustments after correcting
the vertical misalignment. As the camera was dropped, causing the vertical
alignment to go out, it probably would be a good idea to at least check the
other adjustments as well.

John (no guru just groupie) Collier

*idle speculation with no basis in fact

The older cameras (M3/2/4/5) rangefinder vertical alignment can be easily
adjusted through the screw hole you have mentioned just above the lens
mount. Once you have removed the cover screw you will see the adjustment
screw. The newer cameras (M4-2/4-P/6) require a special tool to adjust the
rangefinder vertical alignment and it is best left to the an experienced
Leica repair tech.

John Collier