Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality issues
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:18:38 +0200 (MET DST)

>Tom Bowen jotted down the following:

"My Noctilux had to be returned to Leica USA for
replacement because of a bright spot in the middle of
the lens due to faulty coating applications.

Then 2 weeks later I order the new 135mm APO f3.4 and
the aperture ring sticks and grinds when you try to go
between f3.4 & f4.5, it will be returned as soon as I
get a chance to pack it up and ship it.

For what Leica charges for these items I think they
should be more thorough before letting them out the
door.  Has anyone esle experienced similar problems
recently?

Tom Bowen
cptbowen@yahoo.com

>>  Has anyone esle experienced similar problems recently?"

>Please, do us all a favor and check the archives for quality issues and
>Leica gear.  You will find that:
>
>  * Once every six months, someone buys Leica gear that needs
>    servicing and raises the question of flawlessness vs. price.
>
>  * Common sense dictates that errors will occur in ANY manufacturing
>    line.  REGARDLESS of price and quality control measures.  Flaws
>    ALWAYS manage to find their way through somehow.  It is a consequence
>    of human activity and enthropy.
>
>  * If you want to eliminate the risk of getting faulty equipment,
>    don't buy any.
>
>  * This is a dead horse.
>
>M.
>
>--
>Martin Howard                 | "We can't make mistakes like that on our
>Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   |  own. We need computers to help us."
>email: howard.390@osu.edu     |     -- A pharmacologist on computerization
>www: http://mvhoward.i.am/    +-------------------------------------------

######################
I disagree with you, Martin.

Our fellow Tom bought 2 lenses which are very expensive.

Moreover Leica Camera builds only 10,000 lenses each year. And they say that
each lens is "individually checked".

That's bloody embarrassing for Leica camera.Period.

"Errare humanum est" ? No, definitively.

"Check, then check one more time".(Ariane-5)

M. Dominique Pellissier
Maître de conférences en économie
Université de Nancy2
13, place Carnot