Subject: [Leica] M6 Unboxed
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 07:42:51 -0400

Sorry, Kyle, despite my attempts to muster up more willpower, the temptation
was simply too great and I finally succumbed and unboxed my new M6.  It was
one of those thrilling moments that was a subtle mixture of excitement and
guilt, opening that black plastic case, gingerly unwrapping the chrome M6
body, holding it in my hands, getting fingerprints all over the viewfinder
and rangefinder windows, watching the MINT+ body degrade just that quickly
to MINT- status.  Ah, the smell of the M6 TTL, freshly unveiled...I shall
always remember it....

The whole experience reminds me of cinammon toast.  You know, it's so good
you just _have_ to eat it, but it's bittersweet, knowing that with every
bite you are consuming the very object that is bringing you pleasure.  Joy
contains the seeds of its own destruction.  The M6 will never be new again.

Well.  I managed, somehow.  I followed the advice on
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/4472/using.html and carefully pasted
my felt (velcro) strips against the concave sides of the neckstrap tabs to
prevent them from scuffing the body.  I stopped short of building the
make-shift lens hood from the two B+W UV filters that Hoyen recommends--I'll
rely on the telescoping hood for now. (I decided against a protective filter
as well.)

Next came the Summicron.  Unzipping the case for the very first time,
feeling the weight of the lens in the hand, unscrewing the plastic
protectors on the M6 body and the lens, then matching up those red dots, and
twisting it into place with that re-assuring "click" of the frameline
selector.  Ahhh.

Holding it up to my eye and focusing on a lamp.  It felt good, it felt
right.  The meter wasn't lit.  I cocked the shutter and tried again.  No
joy.  Oops: no battery.  Ok, easy now, you can do this... get the battery
into the camera without touching either side.  Done.  And at last, the
moment of truth... the little red arrow pointing right.  All is well.

Of course this phase won't last long.  It's like a new romance.  It's all
slow-mo for now, every detail absorbed in fascination, every nuance
appreciated.  Soon enough, I'll be thoughtlessly carrying the M6 around my
shoulder without much regard for it, focusing instead on what to photograph.
But for now, the proper fixing of the felt safeguards against the strap tabs
is absolutely critical!  The adjustment of the strap over and over again so
that the camera lays against the chest in just the right place.  Even the
lens cap must be placed on the lens so that the brandname appears rightside
up.  These things are of grave importance.

Do I dare risk spooling a roll of film just yet?  Oh, let it wait.  The left
neckstrap is still a tad longer than the right....

Infatuated,
Dan
in Baltimore
(send help)