Subject: [Leica] AN OLD FOOF SIGNS ON
From: "EXT-Alexander, John" <John.Alexander@ARZ.Boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:47:47 -0700

Greetings Fellow LUGgers,
Please let me introduce myself as the "new old man" on the LUG block...and a
recent convert to the Leica M system..  Born in '36...so I have something in
common (circa-age) with some of our distinguished LUG authors: Ted Grant,
Jim Brick, et al )  The comparison ends there, however; because to imply
that I share even a fraction of their photographic talent or experience
would be, indeed, ludicrous!   This I KNOW...because I've spent a great deal
of time travelling through the LUG archives (a remarkable repository of
photographic experiences and tutorials); and I continue to be awed by the
enormous breadth, energy, and overall capabilities of some of the LUG
members.  In fact, I would recommend that any new LUGger invest some
significant time there before even thinking of issuing an initial post.  In
fact, for an unparalleled experience in general learning about everything
photographic, one should do a chronological search on all posts from some of
the more prolific "posters".  Which ones?  Just hang around the archives
doing "topic" searches for awhile...and you'll know which ones.  It's
important to note that I MADE NO LEICA M EQUIPMENT PURCHASES UNTIL I HAD
THOROUGHLY EXPLORED AND UNDERSTOOD ALL THE ISSUES IMPORTANT TO ME VIA THE
LUG ARCHIVE.  It's there for the taking.  All one has to do is be diligent
in the quest.

For the last 25 years or so, I used a broad range of SLR cameras and lenses
from the "Nippon Kogaku" supplier.  One day, not too long ago, I picked up
an album of slides that I'd shot back in high school and early college
(Baton Rouge, La.) and I was SHOCKED to realize that some of my VERY BEST
WORK had been done with a RANGEFINDER!  An Argus C-4 with a 50mm lens!  In
'53, one of my (older) brother's friends had shown me some slides taken with
his Argus C-3 - projected on a sheet hung on the wall ...and I GOT HOOKED!
I remember that I was the only one in my senior class (of  '55) that owned a
35mm camera.  I cherished that camera...many poignant memories ago.    So,
after some soul searching, I abandoned the N.K. gear and decided it was time
to become a Leica-M man!

I ordered an M6TTL HM w/50 Summicron (latest), SF-20 "winkie" (for fill) and
Billingham Alice bag from Tamarkin and shot 3 rolls of Astia 100 the first
day I got the equipment.  Most of the pictures were around the house (many
of my wife and puppy, singly and in combination).  My wife, Brenda, was
delighted with the results (and so was I).  Instead of the usual one
keeper/roll, there were so many good ones that I just grinning and grinning
like an idiot.  (Astia is a very good film and mates with the M especially
well for "people pictures".  Last week my TA Rapidwinder and SoftRelease
arrived (shipped from Canada by Tom).  These enhancements turn the M-6 into
a formidable picture taking machine...smooth and steady she goes..  I can't
imagine using the M6 again without them.   Today my 90mm Summicron ASPH
arrived from Pat McKee.  Can't wait to test it out.  Next lens is the 35mm
Summicron ASPH.  Ultimately the 24mm Elmarit ASPH.

Brenda and I are leaving for Sonora Bay, Mexico next week for some fishing,
and relaxation.  I intend to give the new equipment a good workout.  Please
indulge me this long post...for which I sincerly apologize.  It seems that
the bite of the "Leica bug" has not only caused my bank account to go
severly South, but, alas, has made it hard for me to shut up!  Long live the
LUG forum.  It's a great place to be...so I'm going away now to
lurk...lurk...lurk... and learn...learn...learn.

John A.