Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Contact prints
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:18:43 -0700

From: Joan & Ken Lee
> It is beginning to look like everyone but me uses the 7 X 5 rather than 6
> 6.

When I used the 24x30 cm (9 1/2 x 11 3/4 in) standard size paper in Europe,
I found it to be the perfect size for 6 frames by 7 strips. Then you always
have room for that sometimes extra 37th frame on a roll (4 negs on strip 6
and 3 negs on strip 7). Also, the orientation of the neg sheet and the
contact sheet are the same, with both the negs and contact strips running
horizontally across the portrait oriented page.

I use a three ring binder with the contact sheet on the left and the neg
sheet on the right when opened. You three-hole punch the contact sheet on
the *right hand* side. For a right-hander that means you can look at the
contacts on the left that are in the exact same orientation as the negs that
you can fish out with your right hand on the right side of the binder.

24x30 cm is special order and expensive in the US, so I buy 11x14 - Agfa is
just over $30 for a box of 50 sheets at B&H. Then I cut about 4 1/2 inches
off the 14 inch length, giving me a 9 1/2 x 11 sheet. It fits fine in a
standard three ring binder. The leftover paper gives me lots of 4x5 paper
and test strips. My contact sheets and negs are neatly stored together in
sets of labeled three ring binders.

For neg storage, this approach has worked great over many years. I really
like the size and the same orientation of contacts with negs.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger