Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome and scanning/Rangefinders
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:58:13 -0500

Tina and Mark wrote:

<Alan -
<If all of your photography is personal, the actual transparency can be an
<end product; but if you have to earn a living with your photographs, you
<will probably end up scanning them.

<Tina
<------------------------------

<Have fun retouching the telephone pole wires growing out of their heads!
<It's the digital age!
<Mark (off on off on off on) Rabiner

<------------------------------

Thanks for your responses. I was not clear in my post.  I do make a living
with photography.  For my professional work I'll do what is needed as you
suggested, but for my own enjoyment of the magic of photography that has
captivated me since 1966, I like to be basic. I did art and cartooning
before I got hooked on taking pictures.  The challenge and excitement I get
is from trying to capture a bit of the world that I see before me.
Removing parts of the scene and/or adding other images to it by retouching
seems like drawing or painting where you can do anything.  I like to look
at my photos that I've taken in the past and think "Wow, the world can be
strange and wonderful."  That's why I like Elliott Erwitt and H.C-B.
(OT!):  It's also why I love Leica RFs; they are perfect for grabbing the
surreality around us.  (Digital "collages" leave me cold.  I like to see a
scene that really existed and was noticed by the person behind the camera
who then shared it)

I know this was a bit of a rant, but I was influenced by Ed Farber, who
always was a troublemaker at photography seminars, giving the speakers a
hard time to provoke and promote discussion.

Alan (a sine wave is more elegant than a step) M-R