Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica on Leica
From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:53:31 -0700

At 04:00 PM 4/18/00 -0700, Tom Schofield wrote:
>What's scary is that, if Konica provided the test sample, wouldn't one
>assume it was checked and that's as good as it gets?

Konica can't help what happens in transit, or whether the reviewer dropped
it or whatever.  I have taken out a good lens and found that something
happened to it along the way and it didn't work the way it used to.  It
just happens sometimes, I assume from excessive banging or some other trauma.

Everyone can speculate, but once again, my EXPERIENCE (that is a very
important word) USING this lens says that there is at least one that
doesn't behave that way.  And the reviewer's experience tells us only that
there is at least one that did.  But not why, nor whether more than one
did.  It also didn't say where he bought it.

It's also worth noting that he praises other Konica lenses and one would
have to question why they couldn't build a 50 that matched their
performance.  A more experienced reviewer would probably test a few more
lenses.

I know it's popular to gab on this list about things that one hasn't tried
(especially if one can knock a non-Leica product), but I have been using it
for about four weeks and not seen any evidence of flare or curvature problems.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/