Subject: Re: [Leica] Natchwey interview
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:28:47 -0700

I am reminded of the sketch that Sam Kinison did about 15 years ago when
there was again a drought in Ethiopia, and he shreiked something to the
effect, "You don't send these people FOOD! You send them U-HAUL trailers,
and let them move to where the FOOD IS!" I thought about that last night as
I saw on the news the striking images of famished people, fly blown babies,
and people with what Viet Nam vets will be familiar with as the "thousand
meter stare"
We may have joked about what f-stop to use, or focal length lens appropriate
if we saw Bill Clinton clinging to a tree root in a raging maelstrom of a
flood, but in the case of a person like James Natchwey, my feeling is that
he IS doing what he can to help. All of us have our own expertise; we are
able to do certain things well, and if- as a photojournalist, he can raise
the conciousness of many- then he is doing more than turning a single pair
of hands to the endeavor. I hope this is the consensus.
I know that our own Tina does an incredible amount of traveling and
photographing to bring the plight of the Mesoamerican peoples to theWorld's
attention, and though I am sure she helps personally when she can, I would
not expect anyone to fault her for 'simply' taking pictures of other's
misery, and not doing anything substantive.
Being interested in history, archeology, anthropology and sociology, I have
come to find that the recorded history of mankind- from the very first
Egyptian dynasty as shown on the Nar-Mer pallette, to today- is one of
misery, hunger, poverty, war, and oppression. The person who said that the
Neandethal's life was nasty, brutish and short was very sheltered.
I applaud the work of anyone who can help by bringing to the fore the plight
of people, and do it without being judgemental. If they instill in US the
will and move us to help, then they have done more than if they had merely
rolled up there sleeves and fed a hungry baby.
Perhaps we need more photojournalist out there who can show us how the world
really is, and do it without inuring us to the pain, or desensitizing us,
and usrge us to turn a hand of our own.
I watched as well, last night, the protests in Washington, D.C.; I saw a lot
of people, marching in their $200 L.L. Bean foul weather coats, well fed
college students urging theWorld Bank to re-organize, forgive debts, and
release third world countries from all the debts they incurred. I wonder if
any of them had sent money to the organizations that Tina supports, went to
these places with the Peace Corps to help build infrastructures in these
places, or did anything but march and make noise!? Don't get me wrong- I may
be a Republican and sound like a right wing nut at times, but I did collect
food and clothes, and help with the voter registration work of C.O.R.E and
the SLC in the 60's, and I have always tried to support the rights of the
individual.
Anyway- KUDOS to Tina, and Duane- and anybody else out there where the
living ain't easy, and who are trying to make a difference. It would be nice
to see and read about all these folks more often.
Dan ("I'll take Manhatten...." - YOU'LL TAKE AFGHANISTAN!) Post