Subject: [Leica] LS-2000 ICE
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:54:33 -0500

Let me just put in a positive word for the LS-2000 ICE feature.

I've only had my LS-2000 for a couple of days,  I bought it because we have
a large archive of images of HCJB and of Ecuador going back to 1931.  Over
time, if you have prints made numerous times of the same negatives or make
duplicates of the same original slides, or you handle your slides in pages a
lot or send them out to be published, you are going to get scratches and
stuff on them that the Nikon scanners will pick up and you can spend hours
retouching out things....  While the ICE feature is not perfect and you do
loose a bit of sharpness for critical applications especially in damaged
areas, it does a remarkably good job and can save one a lot of time for many
practical purposes such as images for normal publication, web and Power
Point Applications.  I've been re-scanning some images that I had done with
the LS-1000 and gave up on once I saw the damage.... I've had to spend over
three hours on some images with the LS-1000 and with the LS-2000, I won't
have to do that very often. I spend too much time in front of the computer
the way it is, anything that gives me more time to go out and shoot film is
worthwhile.

If I have a clean piece of film, I won't use the ICE, but unfortunately,
I've got a lot of images and am asked to scan other peoples images that
aren't so clean anymore.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador