Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:37:28 -0400

At 01:00 PM 4/16/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Gerry,
>
>Tina is absolutely correct in telling you that it is Nikon's "Digital ICE"
>that effects the Kodachrome scans, in much the same way it effects scans
>of silver-based negatives. Nikon are staying quiet about it, but it only
>works acceptably on dye-based images.
>
>It isn't the scanner that has a problem, it's Nikon's software.
>Alternative software such as Ed Hamrick's Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com)
>may not look as pretty in the user interface department, but is way ahead
>of Nikon in many other respects. It scans Kodachromes and silver-based
>negatives fine, with "cleaning" turned on.
>
>I use both programs, as appropriate to the image source.

The problem with the Nikon ICE is that it reads the silver in the
Kodachrome and black and white negatives as "dirt" and tries to remove
it.  The Silverfast software clean-up does the same.  There is no problem
with scanning with the cleaning feature turned off and then cleaning up
later in PhotoShop or, even better, clean the film first with PEC-12 and
you won't need to clean it digitally!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com