Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger or scanner?
From: "Isaac H Crawford" <isaacc@flashcom.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:37:34 -0400

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 10:55 PM

> Last summer I saw some panoramic prints, approx 4 or 5 feet wide, printed
> on fine art watercolour paper by digital means, that would compare easily
> with the finest traditional silver print.  They were truly beautiful.
The
> tonality and sharpness (they looked like contact prints) were outstanding.
>
> Dan C.
>
> At 08:27 PM 14-04-00 EDT, FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
> >Am I crazy? Is this really a serious discussion? Have you people ever
looked
> >at a truly fine print? Is there even a serious issue here? Silver paper
is
> >dead and digital is the answer? Not yet in my estimate! Or maybe it's a
joke
> >and I missed something?
> >If not, buy a P&S pixel camera. plug it into your computer and printer or
> >scan your images and have a good time. But do not think that your scanned
> >images can match a well-done print. (I am being had, right?)
> >Bob Figlio

    Actually, things change very quickly in the digital world. I now have
all of my prints from slides done digitally. There are far fewer limitations
when it comes to printing from a digital file as compared to Ilfochrome
printing. My image quality is much higher when being printed with a lightjet
printer (from Cymbolic Science I believe). You aren't being had, you just
haven't experienced good output yet.

Check out these links:

    http://www.laserlightprintmaker.com/index.html

    http://www.evercolor.com/

If you get your stuff printed by them, you won't go back to conventional,
trust me...

Isaac