Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger or scanner?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:01:55 -0700

I have been doing an intensive scanning printing thing over the past days
putting together a new "book" in a nifty 8.5x11 portfolio thing I got the other
day from PRAT/PARIS.

I'VE been dragging out some of my old war horses negs. Negs which I have printed
time and time again on every conceivable sized paper from 5x7 to 20x24 RC or
fiber for portfolios or shows. Yes I've had both shows and portfolios in the
whole size range\ from  5x7 to 20x24.
Now my ink jets are staying 8.5x11" and my darkroom prints are standardized at
11x14. Separate books.
It is a bitch scanning black and white negs on my Nikon LS-2000 which I think is
the standard of the industry for the next five minutes.
I more so look forward to scanning medium format negs on the Umax PowerLook III.
I print on this Mitsubishi Dual sided matte Diamond Jet matte paper. And the MIS
archival monochrome inks which are a bit warm but I like that.
Preparing the negs for printing and printing them is somehow similar to making
20x24's. I become intimately reacquainted with each facet and area in the image
and what that area needs: lighening darkening shapening spotting cloneing
contrast inhansement. But this time it is on this same monitor of my computer
that I communicate to my LUG and RUG friends on and I'm working the image back
into a layout in most cases so what I am doing has a graphics edge to it. I am
replacing images in halftoned layouts which would Moiré at different printing
sizes with scans from the original negs or the best print I can find which can
fit in my scanner. But I can again use these same high res scans for a more pure
representation of the image with not layout and type involved (I'm scanning my
tear sheets)
I'm finding this intensive scanning and printing thing to be quite rewarding.
Real competition for the darkroom. And believe me from my perspective that is
saying something. I have been a darkroom bug since I was 13 in 1965.
So the answer is do both! Get a scanner and printer and have fun while the sun
shines but also build a darkroom in you basement for those overcast days and
long nights when you need hypo and silver and selenium!
Mark Rabiner