Subject: [Leica] nokton v. summilux
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 06:33:25 -0400

I have the second formula (1983 vintage) summilux and a Nokton. My first
impression of the nokton is that the boke is not to my liking. If I get
time I will do  comparison and post the results. The summilux is a bit
battered and has never had a cla so the test will favour the Nokton anyway.
My only concern over the Nokton is that at this price sample variation is a
real possibility so this will hardly be a rigorous test.
My Nokton has an exquisite feel and finish BTW WAY nicer than current
NiCanolta products.
The second computation Summilux M is the same design family as the 75
Summilux FWIW.
Assuming that all improvements in technology result in improved product
performance is unrealistic. In the case of most products, be they VCRs, CD
players, cameras or lenses technology has been used to reduce manufacturing
costs and increase profits whilst holding quality to the level that will
not upset consumers. Very many products were actually better engineered in
the 70's and 80's than today.
Aspherical lenses can now be moulded so they are cheaper to make than
lenses using more elements or exotic glasses, whilst producing equal or
better performance.
Goodness knows how much it would cost today to produce a second generation
(rigid) 7 element summicron, let alone the DR. Probably double the current
6 element (4th computation) with 4 planar surfaces. Erwin says the new one
is  better, but even those who think (as I do) that the DR is the ultimate,
accept that the latest Summicron is a stellar performer.
cheers Frank