Subject: Re: [Leica] nokton v. summilux
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:43:14 -0700

Tom ( I cut the long post) Finnegan-
I am currently using an older black Summilux 50- the one with the clamp on
shade, and 14163 cap on an M6, and a Summarit-M on an M4, and to be honest
with you- I cannot tell the difference in the two when looking at the
negatives or the scans.
I owe this to one of three things- one, either the CLA that Sherry did on
the Summarit brought it within specs of the older uncleaned Summilux- that
certainly doesn't look like it needs cleaning!. Two- I use HP5 or Delta 400,
and they just don't have the resolution to show the differences of these two
lenses. Three- My eyes are going, and noone has told me!
I shoot rarely wide open- but when I do, I am sure that my camera shake
would hide any difference! Stopped down- and I have used a resolution chart
for the f5,6 to f11 range on both lenses- and I couldn't tell any
significant difference, and that is the situation in which I find myself for
the most part- shooting at f5,6 to f8. I have noticed that the prices or the
Summarit has come down recently, and buying a user in decent condition,
having Sherry or someone do a good CLA on it, and you would have a Leica
lens, reasonably fast, and half the cost- at least- of a Summilux.
Dan ( My opinion only) Post