Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander lens alignment process
From: DavidS8451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:33:58 EDT

Michael,
I was the one having this problem last week.  I'm going to save your post,
but I wouldn't dare to unscrew the lens mount!  I can barely change a
lightbulb.  I purchased a new adapter that (almost) sets the lens at the 12
o'clock position.  The slides I just got back do not show the vignetting that
I had experienced earlier.  There is still light falloff at the edges, but I
guess this is normal.  Is it standard procedure to increase exposure with
super-wide lenses?
All the best,
Dave Schaller
Newton, MA

From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
For those who've been irritated by their 15mm lens' misalignment relative to

the camera body--if you're mechanically inclined, unscrew the four screws on

the back of the mount. Underneath you'll find each screw can actually be

screwed into one of a series of screwholes in the lens body. Turning the

mount relative to it's previous position and using a different set of screws

allows you to realign the lens in about 4mm increments. Of course if you use

multiple cameras/adapters and the alignment is different with each, this

isn't gonna help. . . .

The 35mm has the same situation, but I haven't explored whether this messes

with the rangefinder calibration or not. In theory, it should a little, but

I don't think this is the major calibration method. When you dig in you'll

also notice four screws running in slots that would seem to make possible am

even finer adjustment of the alignment. Don't mess with them--I suspect they

really will change the rangefinder settings!

If you mess up, you're on your own--don't blame me!   :-)

- - --Michael Darnton