Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Love/hate
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:31:52 -0600

LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:

> Second, I enjoy playing with well crafted, high precision mechanical devices.
> There is a sensual pleasure in moving the levers and twisting the dials of a
> Leica and a satisfying melody of syncopated sound when the shutter operates.

Larry, that's it! Leica has never been about "best buy for the money"
and if you're an experienced shooter, do you really care if your camera
meets someone else's definition of a best buy or not?

The easiest way to be thrifty is to be very picky how you spend your
money! I'm not talking about buying junk at steep discounts, I'm talking
about only buying stuff that matters and doing it right.

If I've joined a private club by buying a Leica, then until we started
our Denver LUG get-togthers, it was very private indeed, because I've
only rarely encountered anyone else photographing in some of my favorite
areas; sometimes I'll see a fashion shoot or wedding, but mostly just
snapshooters. Here and there is a guy (always a guy) with SLR, monster
skinny zoom lens--and no lens hood! I don't feel too compelled to strike
up a conversation with 'em--if they haven't figured out that noon on
cloudless day isn't the most promising time to shoot, I'm not going to
be the one to tell them. I'd love to see more folks out there getting
creative with their cameras.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado