Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #3
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:38:05 EDT

I have been asked in private e-mails where my estimate of 9 megapixels as the
digital equivalent of the 35 mm frame comes from. Here it is:

In an oft quoted article "How Sharp Can You Get" published in the October
1976 issue of Modern Photography the editors used heroic measures to squeeze
100 lines/mm out of a number of high quality 35mm camera 50 mm lenses. The
best performance was given by an older Leica Summicron (7 element) which
reached 105 l/mm on High Contrast Copy film. Most lenses, including the
Summicron reached 96 l/mm on Tech Pan. Faster films scored lower. Images on
Kodachrome II peaked at 80 to 86 l/mm. To stay on the conservative side, I
estimated the maximum usable resolution as 100 l/mm, fully realizing that
most lens-film combinations would be less.

The area of the 35mm frame is 864 sq. mm. Each sq. mm at 100 l/mm resolution
requires 10,000 pixels, the total being 8,640,000 pixels. Hence the 9
megapixel estimate as the digital equavalent of 35 mm. Using 24 bit color
information, this works out to a file size of about 26 MB. Moderate JPEG
compression at 1:4 will reduce this to a more manageable 6.5 MB file size.

While this is a reasonable approximation of the amount of information stored
on a 35 mm frame using today's methods, it is far lower than the maximum that
could be stored given advances in lens/film technology. The theoretical
resolution of an f2.0 lens is 882 l/mm in green light. This works out to 672
megapixels and a file size of over 2 billion MB. Don't hold your breath
waiting for Leica to offer lenses of this quality soon, however. All of the
twentieth century efforts in camera lens design have only improved resolution
for normal lenses by a factor of two.

The LUG tends to place undue emphasis on resolution as the essential quality
of imaging. In my youth, I worked for a Boston newspaper that never used
finer than a 65 line halftone screen in its daily edition. We photographed
sporting events with 4x5" Speed Graphics, not because of the high picture
quality available from the large negative but pecause it could be fully
processed in two minutes in concentrated developer and fixer and a printing
plate could be made while the negative was still dripping wet. The paper was
proud of the fact that it often had a paper on the streets showing the
winning goal in a Celtics game before the crowd filed out of the Boston
Arena.

Today most of us watch hours of television whose images are formed by fewer
than 0.3 megapixels or stare at computer screens which deliver their images
at about 0.5 megapixels. A cheap low end digital camera can meet those
requirements with ease. The vast majority of the world's pictures are never
enlarged to a size greater than 4x6". A 1.5 megapixel camera and a basic ink
jet printer will suffice. Timeliness, availability, flexibility and cost per
image are often more important than resolution and tonal depth. A picture in
the hand or on a electronic display screen is worth more than a dozen much
finer images on a roll waiting to be developed.

LarryZ