Subject: [Leica] RE: Analog vs. digital - off LUG, apology
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 09:46:03 -0700

At 10:17 AM 4/9/00 -0400, Austin Franklin wrote:
>> 256 gray tones is sufficient for nearly eveything you've ever seen
>> printed lately in black & white halftone - because that's how it was
>> made. The image might have existed as 12 or 16 bits at some point but
>> when it went to the imagesetter it was 8 bit.
>
>I agree. I didn't see were you said you were speaking specifically about
>half tone printing.
>
>> Austin, you like to argue too much for me.  I think you have trolled me
>> again.
>
>You call it arguing, I call it discussing.  I am not trolling you.  You
>made statements that I  believe are technically incorrect, or I disagree
>with you on your opinion or analysis.

The main problem here is that this, and many previous posts are private
discussions between two people. They really should be held privately.

Nobody minds OT excursions because they usually have significant
photographic value, save war, religion, and politics.

But when a discussion turns to "I thought you said", "no I said, I thought
you said", "no I thought you said"... ad nauseam... including a mile of
previous discourse.

It gets a little irritating.

As a result, I push delete a lot w/o reading any of it and end up creating
Eudora filters to eliminate these folks from my readable mail.

I don't like doing this because I forget the filter and may not see these
good folks for weeks. Or even months.

Basically, an argumentative attitude on an eMail list is a quick way to get
filtered to trash. Or ignored completely by those participants who don't
have filters.

IMHO,

Jim