Subject: Re: [Leica] Pricing Help Please!
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2000 12:32:02 -0700

On Sat, 08 April 2000, Jeffcoat Photography wrote:

> Anyone! I've been given the task of helping a friend sell some older
> Leica gear. My friend is coming to that point in life that he is
> thinking of what folks will do with his things when he is gone, he feels
> no one will appreciate the Leica and Lens. So  I ask you what you think
> these are worth. We have the original boxes for all, (one of the sides
> are split on one box but other wise in tack). All of the glass is Mint
> and the Lens are Mint  to Mint minus. All lens are 2 cam R,-- Elmarit  R
> 90/2.8 # 2335122, (both caps and filter ring) Summicron - R 50/f2
> 2323111 (both caps, filter ring and a non leitz coated uv filter)
> Elmarit- R 35/f2.8 2364018 (  both caps,  filter ring, round sun
> shade-12564 )(this is the box lid that is seam split and I did it-this
> is the only split box) Elmairt-R 180/f2.8 23551222 ( both caps, filter
> ring and Leica UVa filter) All lens are german. Next is an SL #1235395
> body-chrome-This is dirty but only real marks are from tripod and normal
> light scratching on the base. Tiny bit of paint chipping on top of back
> hinge (this is on the back not the body) Mirror is clean, matte screen
> is showing some discoloration, meter works, depth of field works, film
> counter works, shutter sounds good (sounds really nice in fact), focus
> pops  in nicely (even with out my glasses) X cover is missing, Bulb
> cover is in place. Have the box for the SL,  No cap for the lens mount.
> Any ideas on value or is there one of you who will want this for
> collection or what ever.
>

> --
> Cheers Wilber GFE
> tel. 803-469-2440
>
> http://www.jeffcoatphotography.com

A good source of pricing info is eBay's completed auctions.  The 35mm and 50mm lenses, while fine performers, don't generate a lot of excitement on eBay.  The 90mm Elmarit-R is an outstanding lens by any standard except the 100mm APO-Elmarit-R, but again, an old 2-cam lens doesn't generate lots of bids on eBay.  Same story with the 180.  If the SL's screen discoloration is a result of prism separation, the next owner will have to count on an expesive repair (but worthwhile IMHO).

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!