Subject: Re: [Leica] Film problems, again
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 05:54:26 -0700

Kenneth Epstein wrote:

> I was using my new M6 TTL yesterday, when I noticed that I had gone up to
> the 40th frame on the indicator.  I did not notice whether the rewind knob
> had been turning.  I decided to rewind the film, but there was no tension.
> I began to doubt whether I had actually loaded the camera, so I opened it.
> Much to my surprise, the film had separated from the cartridge, and was all
> on the take-up spool.  I threw the film away and removed a broken piece of
> film that I found under the take-up spool.
>
> My question is, what happened and is there something I should avoid in the
> future.  Thanks from a new Leica user.>>>>>>>>

Ken,

If you didn't feel a solid tug on the film advance lever when advancing
at the end of the roll, then I'd imagine the film hadn't been attached
to the original canister spool correctly.  Not likely!

It takes a pretty good heft on the advance lever to tear film from the
canister spool . Unless in the heat of shooting you did and didn't
realize you had done it.

The advance lever should smoothly pull the film along without much
friction from the film as it comes out of the canister and if you're
experiencing considerable drag to the extent you can't feel the tug at
the end of a roll, you may not be loading correctly. Not likely.

However, I don't think that's the case as it's probably a faulty loaded
roll at the factory.  Although I've never experienced this myself, I
know of those who "load their own" have it happen on occasion.

It's unusual for film to come off a spool without the photographer
realizing he has pulled it  off . Others will have suggests

ted